Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

29 May 2008

Throwback Thursday 2

It is finally warm enough here that I am loving the baseball season for Alex! He has had several practices, but it hasn't been that nice. Finally today, it is. I found this photo of myself when I played T-ball. This is from July 1982. Wasn't I so cute?! I was still blonde then, too! Look at that concentration!! My brother and I played t-ball then coach-pitch for several years for this same organization. My dad was a coach and my mom and the other moms came and watched and always brought snacks. This is so familiar to me, because this has now become my role in the game. I love watching baseball, and I love the feel of the sun when the game is on!

During these years, I remember:
-being the fastest runner on the team, so I always got to bat first!
-playing short-stop and 2nd base the most- though I do remember playing outfield, with my childhood friend, Stephanie and getting yelled at for picking dandelions!
-playing 1st base, missing the ball, and it nearly breaking my nose- more blood than I ever saw before, and going to Children's Hospital for it!
-watching my then childhood love, and also Stephanie's (same boy, named "Bookie") play and forgetting about the game itself!
-going to ice cream at Moore's after big games! ( I always got Mint Chocolate Chip- they had the best- though now it is a pizza shop- so sad!)
-watching a boy on our team miss the ball, with his mouth wide open, and having it slice his tongue nearly off - That took over for more blood than I had ever seen!
-loving every minute of the game, and especially being with my family and all of my friend's families.

I am grateful for my parents for allowing me to have such fun experiences. I never went on to play in high school or anything after that, but it was these kinds of things that I remember. Fun times. I hope my children remember these times in their lives too- for now, Alex is just excited to play, and of course, for the snacks afterward!! But, he is so much better than I could ever hope to be- he is learning to be a swich hitter, and is doing very well.

PS- the station wagon in the background is not ours, but we had one just like it, though it was blue! Check it out!!

9 comments:

Home Management Group said...

My dad actually had the white station wagon. Ivan & I used it to move into and out of our first apartment!

wolfpack said...

Love the picture. You are tooooo cute. We had a station wagon like that too, but it was green with wood down the middle. We were so cool in the 80's because we had wood on our car. Anyway, I didn't play baseball when I was little but we take Konnor every Saturday. He loves it and we also bring snacks. I guess that is just a Mom's job.

wolfpack said...

Love the picture. You are tooooo cute. We had a station wagon like that too, but it was green with wood down the middle. We were so cool in the 80's because we had wood on our car. Anyway, I didn't play baseball when I was little but we take Konnor every Saturday. He loves it and we also bring snacks. I guess that is just a Mom's job.

Emilee said...

soooooo cute! LOL! Hey, bytheway, you and your whole family are invited to come to my graduation party at my house this satruday at 1 to 4 p.m. we sent you an invitation, so yeah! hope to see y'all's there!
Em!

Autumn said...

Oh my gosh, we had station wagon after station wagon! Too many to remember. I love that picture-so cute. I have been caught for picking dandelions playing soccer when I was younger! Too funny.

Amanda B. said...

so adorable!!! Kenny is on a coach pitch team there this year as well and he is loving it. This is all new to me, as I never did anything like this when I was little. It is a lot of fun!! I love old pictures!

everyday katie said...

That is SO cute. What a darling little girl you were. Now I know where your kids get it. Actually, I never realized how much Alex looks like you. This picture is priceless.

I never played T-ball or softball or anything...but it does remind me of summer. Maybe one of my kids will play. Spencer comes from a big time baseball family. His dad was scouted out by the Pirates, but he decided not to play Pro-ball. Hopefully we have a kid who gets his baseball genes.

Suzanne said...

What a superstar! I love baseball and can't wait to spend many hours at the field with my kids.

Station wagons were the best! We never wore seatbelts and played rolly polly in the back with all our friends as my mom turned corners fast. I am certainly a fan of seatbelts today but glad they weren't such a big deal when I was young.

Es Wells said...

look at you, little tomboy... You were so cute, bitting your lip as your hit the ball.. Too funny and cute. What a classic picture! Thanks for sharing it.