Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

06 May 2008

Flashback to 1993 Prom


I can hardly believe I am posting this picture of me as a Senior at Prom!! It is so funny, and my mind is flooded with images of all my friends who looked very similar to me-


1. BIG hair


2. Off the shoulder dress


3. Tinted dyeable shoes to match your dress


4. Costume jewelry


5. A prom limo


Okay, so it was 1993, and at our High School, we only had Senior Prom, so this was my one and only experience (thank goodness!). My date, Mike, was our Senior Class President, and had much influence on voting for the theme for our dance. I remember that our Senior Advisor (a wacky teacher) drove everyone crazy, so we voted for a theme that would surely dissapoint her- and because Mike was President and quite popular, everyone followed suit, so our theme became, are you ready....


"NIGHT OF ECSTASY!"


Yes, I am serious! A huge joke, but that was our theme nontheless! I am not sure if I even knew what that implied, but it was fun to just rile our advisor up! So anyway, we then picked the classic colors of red, white and black, and had our dance at a fancy hotel downtown. It was quite tasteful, despite the theme...at least I think so...


There were 4 couples in our limo- only one couple was actually dating, (not me), and so we basically went as a group of friends- that was so nice. Mike decided to wear a purple tux, and I didn't object, that seemed to suit his personality just fine...later he decided to take a different route and play for both teams, if you get my drift...(okay, that sounded from the 90's!). Anyway, we had this great limo, which turned out wasn't even the one they ordered, it was less classy, but I didn't care since I get motion sickness in the backseat of a car, let alone a limo, so I wasn't all too excited anyway. I don't remember much from the night itself, except that it was sort of fun, but not really worth all the hoopla. I did, however, LOVE my dress, and why? I don't even know now, but it fit me perfectly, and I look at it now, and I think, wow, where the heck are my hips?! They did not exist then! Sadly, I weighted 108 pounds, and was not eating much to try to stay thin! I did not think that was thin! Crazy high school drama that makes you think that! I do not want my daughters to ever go through that!


I do, however, remember Post-Prom, and going to a Knights Inn Motel for the night- can you believe my parents let me stay at a hotel - what were they thinking, I was barely 17! Okay, so since Mike and I were just friends, they said okay, and all was fine, but what they didn't know was what everyone else in our party was doing...okay, don't let your mind wander that direction...but there was alcohol like you have never seen before- at least I hadn't seen before! They loaded up the tub with tons of different varieties for everyone! I was a good girl and didn't drink a drop- honest, but I cannot say that for the rest of the clan- it was a long night for them, and morning for that matter! The next morning, with more hairspray than Aqua Net intented, I shoved my hair in a banana clip (it was the 90's, remember?!), and we headed to Tee Jay's Country Place for breakfast- yuck! It was where EVERYONE goes after prom for breakfast, so we couldn't not go! Sadly, I ate and then felt miserable the rest of the day.
All in all, Prom 1993 was quite memorable, as much as I remember...hope you enjoyed this and got your laugh in for the day!


10 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Wow- good for you for not drinking the alcohol! That is crazy! Love the picture though! :) I think we all have some interesting prom memories...... I too remember thinking I was fat. I worry about that with my daughters too. If I only knew then...

everyday katie said...

OH kelly...I go more than a good laugh. Not only was the picture worth of boisterous laughter, but your commentary about it was hilarious. I loved the aqua net - banana clip thing.That is classic. I went to prom only five years later. I can't believe how different styles of hair and clothes changes so much in 5 years. And I can only imagine you were high fashion. That is fantastic. I'll have to think about posting high school dance pictures for upcoming flashback fridays...with it being prom season and all. I wasn't really happy with either of my prom dresses. But I loved both of my winter formal dresses.

Kelly said...

Oh, I forgot to mention the hours it took to hotroll my hair so that we could tease it up and then spray down with the AquaNet! It took a while and the washing out the next day was atrocious! And, my stick shins so bow-legged - that is quite a sight! I remember that lifting my arms in that dress was not an option, and since Mike was so tall, I had to place my hands on his bicepts (not muscular), because that is the highest they would go. When I find the picture of my other friends and I, I will surely post that for yet another boisterous laugh!

Suzanne said...

What a hottie! Are we getting old or what? I look at the fashion from the 90's and wonder what we were thinking and yet we thought we were hot stuff. I should post some prom photos. One of my prom dates had quite the hair-do. I know it took him longer to do his than it did mine. Good Memories.

everyday katie said...

I had to come back for no other purpose than a good laugh. This is my favorite post you've ever written. Love the picture. It encompasses everything about the 90's.

wolfpack said...

All I have to say is......O.K. I don't know what to say. You and Mike were probably the coolest ones there and the hit of the party. I wonder how he is doing now? Do you think he still has that green tatoo on his leg?

Home Management Group said...

Try as I might I could never get big hair. In my day, there were the flock of seagulls & bangs to heaven. The best I ever managed was getting a perm that actually took well & was evenly curly on all sides. Now do you see why I have short hair.

Kelly said...

Jen-
Mike actually lives here again- he moved back and bought a house on the West side- surprise! Christy saw him about a year ago and said he was the same- so exactly the same, and the tatto- that one and then some! I am not sure where he works or what he does, but he is still single- shocker!

Tina said...

I loved your prom picture. Even though people make fun of the style of dress, I still look back fondly on my teenage years. I'm impressed that you didn't drink. See, this was actually training for you since you'd be baptized a few years afterwards!

Autumn said...

Seriously, that is amazing that you didn't drink! I can't believe your parents were down with that!! The dress is awesome. My sisters totally did the shoe dying!!!!! I can SMELL Aqua Net now. I wasn't in HS but I still used it.