Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

04 May 2008

Down on the Farm...

The kids and I ventured up to visit my Grandparents this weekend- one of our very favorite places to go! We love visiting them so much, and nearly cry the whole way home, knowing we won't be back for a few months, if not longer...it is hard being so far from them- my whole life they have lived there, but we managed to go more often than I seem to be able to go now with my family. Oh how I love my grandparents. The weather was raining yesterday, so we mostly stayed indoors, but I didn't mind because that means I get to spend more time talking to my grandparents. The kids were bummed because they wanted to be with Uncle John and the horses- but they got over it- when the rain stopped for a minute or two, they rushed out to the pasture to spend time with the beloved horses. Here is a few shots of that blessed event...
Leah tantalizes them with old carrots- they don't seem to be very excited...they are far in the background here...
Celeste was actually very excited to see the horses this year, and even does an excellent impersonation of "Misty" (the white horse) stomping her foot with an itch...one day I will get that on for you!


These are "Suffolk" horses, and to me that means "BIG"!! Just look at Alex with them- they absolutely love him, and he seriously has some connection with them that not many people have. They know him and come up to greet him whenever he is near. He isn't afraid, and just talks to them like they are his- he is in his favorite place with them in this shot!

While it was raining, I got to spend time cooking for my grandparents, making my favorite dishes and desserts- they loved it! I loved it too, because we don't have people over that often to cook for and so it was fun to serve them and do for them what they have done for me my entire life. Outside of the kitchen window, my grandma has many bird feeders, and so all day I waited for the perfect time to take this shot of the Oriole that keep frequenting the jelly feeder...here he is...


I also got to visit with my cousin, Jamie, who is a new mom and with her beautiful boy, Evan. He is adorable and you can see him by visiting her new site, (that I convinced her to start!). It was fun chatting about blogging, and how great it is (well, I think so, anyway!). I also got to see her nephew, my cousin Jen's boy, Jonathan on Saturday, and he is so cute, too! I forgot to take pictures, we were so busy chatting. Imagine that!

The sun came out today, and so I snapped a shot of the girls on the deck in the sun...


As we left the farm, driving down their road, we saw this literally 2 feet from the side of the road, and I couldn't help but stop and take a parting shot...we love it here! The only thing separating me from these cows is a one strand electric barb wire fence! They don't seem to mind strangers snapping their picture! They probably think I am one crazy lady...and they would be right!



I could do without the farm smell, but other than that, this is a great place to be! The kids are dying to know when we are going back- I told them it may be a while, and with that, sobs came from the backseat...family truly means everything.

7 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Wow- what an awesome weekend! :) Your kids (and you) will have those memories for a lifetime! I am so glad you were able to enjoy it. How awesome to be able to cook for them and serve them. Our grandparents deserve that after a lifetime of work. My grandparents are not well right now and it is making me sad.
These were fun pictures to look at- I am happy you had a great time! :)

Moms Are Contagious said...

This trip sounds like so much fun. Grandparents are so wonderful. I have always loved living close to mine. I am sure your kids will remember these times and will be able to tell their kids about them.
So, do you really work with the scouts now? (just wondering)

Es Wells said...

What great memories for the kids. I love their boots, so cute! Was Dana on this weekend get-away?

everyday katie said...

I love that your kids have such a great relationship with your grandparents. My kids only have one living great grandparent. My dad's mom. And since my dad died, I think my relationship with her is not as good. She's kind of funny about it. Plus she lives in Arizona.

I want to see more pictures of their house. That sun deck looks fantastic. I can't believe Alex is right up there with the horses. THey're so big. I would have been terrified and I'm bigger than he is. Farm's are SO not my thing.

Suzanne said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I used to take my kids to the horse stables to watch the horses run around. I love to watch them from afar. They are so big and muscular. I've been horse back riding a few times but I'm a wimp with those huge animals. You are brave letting Alex stand so close. I hope my wimpiness with animals does not rub off onto my kids but I think it's happening! I only have one living Grandparent and I love being with him more and more as I get older. I cherish those moments since I recognize there may not be many more. Good for you for taking the time to be with your Grandparents while you can! I'm sure they loved it! We missed seeing you yesterday:)

Jamie said...

It was great seeing you this weekend, next time we'll spend more time together. I take my parents' farm for granted and don't always stop to see the beauty of it. I grew up with horses and I'm still a big chicken around them. Your kids are so brave, and so stinking cute. Thanks for getting me on board with the blogging, I'm doing my best to keep up with it. I do have lots of questions though....how do you get the blurb templates?

wolfpack said...

It sounds like you guys had a great weekend. It also sounded so relaxing when you were talking about cooking for your grandparents and watching the birds outside the window. I also looked at you cousins new blog. You are so convincing when you tell people about blogging. I'm glad you got me started and it is addicting. Love and miss you!!!