So, the day started out a little cool, so I was layered up, but by the start of the race, the sun shone bright and it got warm! I was pleasantly suprised, and despite weather forecasts of lots of rain throughout the day, we never got any! That was amazing too! I was a bit nervous for this run, I must admit, but once I got going, it was okay...I ran with Stephanie and Ron (a guy my Aunt Lori works with), and I let them run ahead for a time, since I was feeling a tad overwhelmed and needed a minute or two by myself. (I was also exhausted, so the reprieve was good, too!). Here we are at the beginning, with my cousin, Michael, who left us in the dust, and ran nearly 10 minutes faster than us!- That's okay, we understand, why would he want to run with 2 thirty-somethings?- when he is just a baby of 18!!! We couldn't keep up with him if we tried, so we didn't!!
After the race began, it took about two minutes before we made it to the start, so it was easy going then, but it did get harder, and I was tired by 1.5 miles! I was only half way- this couldn't be happening! But I didn't stop!! I kept going till mile 2- then by 2. something, I slowed a bit and tried to absorb all around me- seriously, it was so thrilling and so full of emotion, everywhere. There were bands playing all over, there were cheerleaders, there were crowds of strangers rooting on everyone! I felt like I had my own personal cheerleader nearly the whole time! From about 2.5 on to 3, I got a surge of energy from all the Harley Davidson Bikers that lined the last leg of half mile- they had their engines revving for us, and probably 150 hands out to slap as you ran by, and I hit nearly every one of them! I was in awe- so many Harley men out on their bikes wearing some piece of pink! I loved it! They kept me going, and if it weren't for them, I probably would've been walking by this point! They saved me! All of a sudden, I see the huge clock running and I realize I am at the end!
33:20 was my official time!
If you take off the starting slow down, it was a tad better, but I am happy nonetheless! I usually run a mile in 9:30 on my tread, but outside with this crowd, I was off, but hey, it was fun! I am actually looking forward to doing one again, soon, perhaps! I loved it! I really did, though I do have to work on staying running for the whole time. If it weren't so darn emotional, I probably wouldn't have slowed down, but I really needed to regroup, for myself.
Here are some pictures of the crowds, and the unreal amount of people in that space!
These are a little blurry because I was actually running when I took these, but you get the idea!
This is Team Lori!! My Aunt, the one in the pink shirt, kneeling in front, is a survivor of over a year!! Everyone in this group did the 5K walk, except Stephanie, Ron, Michael, and me (who isn't in this, since I am taking it!). What love and support for her from all these individuals, for her, just goes to show you what an amazing person my Aunt is- we love her and are so happy she is doing so well! I told her we are already gearing up for Team Lori 2009- and my kids want to participate too! She is inspiring!
This is a view of just the 5K walkers! Seriously, this is simply amazing!
This is me after the race, (pay no attention to the sweat and crazy hair)- though do notice the smile, since the race was over!- my signs of Celebration for Lori and my sign in Memory for Peggy. They and so many others that I know and love, this one was for you! And at the end, this is Stephanie, Ron and I...our first 5K completed and in record time!!
Check out the sun behind us! It was a perfect day for a run, and even the breeze was nice- we couldn't have asked for a better day- one to remember!
To other survivors I know and love: my grandmother, my aunt Barb, Vickie, Sherry.
Statistics show 1 in 8 women will be affected by Breast Cancer. That is a staggering statistic, so the money raised in this race will help find a cure- so race on!


10 comments:
Way to go! I have a great interest in breast cancer since my mom died from it when she was quite young. Last year, about 5 months before I turned 50, I thought I'd like to accomplish something big. I didn't think a marathon would work for me but maybe a 5K. I have been walking for 15 years so I thought if I just kicked it up a notch, I could start running. On the first day of running, I turned my i-pod on and thought, "I'll just run a block to start." I don't think I even got through the first song...less than 2 minutes and I could hardly breathe. I worked for 3 weeks and never got past the 2 minute mark. I gave up and went back to my walking.
A friend is trying to talk me in to a 26 mile rim to rim hike in the grand canyon this fall (you hike down from one rim and come up another rim). Sounds fun.
Anyway, congratulations on finishing.
Wow- Congratulations, Kelly- I am speechless...
This is incredible! I am proud to know you! :) And, so happy your Aunt is doing well.
The pictures were absolutely awesome. It would be a wonderful world if no one ever had to suffer with cancer again! We can hope....
Thanks for making a difference!
I can't even imagine running that far right now. Walk? Yes. Run? Nope.
And, the weather was perfect too! God was smiling on all of you!
Congratulations. I haven't ran a race since high school. It is exhilarating. What a good cause. I've been planning to run one for sometime now. I've worked my self past the 3 mile mark a while ago and I just haven't talked myself into signing up. I wish I was there to run it with you. Having someone else would have made it more fun.
Congrats again. good work.
Very cool! The weather was perfect and I was thinking of you all morning! I would love to do a run with you. Let's find one and sign up.
Sounds amazing, Kelly. Good for you! Those are some cute pics of you too!
congrats! That is awesome!!! Being a part of something so good will definitely bless your life and the lives of others!
Great job Kelly!! I loved these pictures. What a feeling to be apart of something so wonderful!! I can't imagine being swarmed around so many people. Uh-parking?? That must have been amazing in itself!! I think your hair looks GREAT especially for being post-5k run!!! What a great time!!
Awesome!! I am so proud of you. That is an awesome time. That is amazing how many people ran and how big of a race it was. I bet that was overwhelming and invigorating.
I am so very proud of you. I thought about you on Saturday and was happy that the day was absolutely gorgeous. Please do not get down on yourself for your time. Celebrate the fact that you actually ran a race!!! And such an important one. Lots of love xxooxx
Kelly,
I had to wipe the tears away after reading your blog about the Race. I am very proud of you on running the race, but more in the person that you are. You are an amazing person. I am so proud to be your Aunt. You inspire me in who you are and the mom you are to your children. Saturday was so emotional for me, but uplifting as well. It was one of the best days I have had since going through all of this. I can't wait until we do it again next year. Of course, I will not commit to run, because yesterday I could barely walk and today not much better. But, I would have walked 10 or 20 miles for this cause. I am so glad that you were there to share this amazing time with me.
Love, Aunt Lori
Post a Comment