My parents forced us, actually, to go to the last one of the season, and the yearly family reunion. Growing up, this was a tradition- "THE FAIR"- we went every year, along with my grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and our great cousins. I remember these times- I remember the fun and the craziness at the fair- I loved it then. But something happened to me- I changed, and married Dana, and we became "non-fair" people. Dana has a harder time than me going to them. Not to mention that this one was on Conference Sunday. I know, I know...but we love our family, and sometimes you do things you don't always want to do to make others happy, so we did, and we survived, and managed to have a great time. Thankfully my parents paid for my kids to ride these ridiculously expensive crappy rides- and they paid for the food- which, I must admit is not bad- the funnel cake was delicious and so wonderful! That is one real reason we are not "fair" people- we can't afford it!! We just don't have $70 bucks (which is probably what they spent for a couple of hours) for some gross rides and fattening (yet yummy) food- it's just not in our budget!! How others do it is just beyond me!!
But, it is always good to see my extended family, since the last time I saw them was at my great aunt's funeral a year ago. My great uncle Don is wonderful, and I love seeing him. I got to hang out with my second cousin Sarah and her sweet family, and with my parents and Sean and Steph. It was really nice- and it wasn't as bad as we anticipated, here is proof:
The girls rode rides together ($2 each girl per ride- you do the math- crazy, huh?!)
No, really, Grandma, thanks for the icky, sticky, gooey cotton candy- we love it!!
On our way out, we stopped in the sheep barn- Celeste loved it!


9 comments:
That is so awesome, that you went. The good thing about confernce you can always listen to it on the internet later. I had no idea it was so exspensive. What happened to the good old days, when you could buy a bracelet and it got you onto all the rides? I would have to say a funnel cake is well worth a trip to a fair each year. Glad you had fun.
When I was younger, I'd always take my sisters kids and we had a blast. But--like you said, "I've changed." I'm not down with spending my life savings for some dirty rides that take 2 seconds. And the crowds and smells make me go nuts. I am a people watcher though, and sometimes it's the fair and carnivals where I get my best laughs--ex--lizard dude in your photo--too much.
I LOVE fairs. LOVE them. But they are over priced and you always leave feeling filthy.
I'm with you: the Fair is not so fair.
I love going to fairs...except for the cost. I avoid them for that reason, unless- as in your circumstance- someone else is paying. There is one where I grew up that we go to every year and my dad usually helps pay for the fun. I LOVE the food though- so fattening, so bad, but sooooo good!
Looks like alot of fun you "Fair Snob"
I'm always afraid of the fair workers! I don't know where they find those "carnies", living on the streets I think. That wasn't nice of me :(
I would go just for the funnel cake. Ummmm!
depends on the fair, but the kids can have a ton of fun and that is what it is all about. looks like they did have fun.........
Post a Comment