Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

02 October 2008

School Pictures at Home!

Today is picture day at school for Alex and Leah- however, due to the ridiculously expensive packages, we opted to order only a yearbook, and take our own pictures at home! Here was my attempt: black background, white background, white door, candid- nothing was that great, but since my mom complained that she didn't have a "school" picture of the kids, I tried to appease her- here is the best of the best- and they aren't the best, but here is what I got after 20 shots- maybe I should've just bought the dumb package- this was hardly worth the trouble!!!

They are so cute, but so hard to photograph when posing- and let's be honest, I just have a regular digital camera, so closeups are not so easy. I took these at a distance and tried to crop, but they aren't as closeup as regular school pictures- but oh well. I will send these to Sam's and print them in wallets for family and friends- make my mom happy!
By the way, here are last years, that I purchased from school, and still didn't like:

These were re-take day, because the first time, Alex wasn't smiling, and Leah's eyes were shut. On this day, it was the day after Leah's eye surgery, and she was a tad swollen in the face. Alex's shirt is missing a button. Oh well- I remember titling last year's post: Every Picture Tells a Story...well, this year is still no exception, and instead the title of this years' should be: Mom is Too Cheap to Buy School Pictures!
Memories, memories.

10 comments:

I am Laura said...

I think they look pretty good. They sure have grown up a lot in a year. My mom is mad that I never go to a studio to get my kids pictures taken. I take a million pictures all the time so I have never seen the need. My kids don't do well being told to smile on cue either and I would hate to pay the money to get the pictures taken. I think I will always try to do my own school pictures too. I always try to take my pictures with a ton of natural light -- any camera will do a nice job with natural lighting.

Hannah said...

I think they turned out just fine. :) I will not buy school pics anymore either. First, the price-rediculous! Second, they never look as good as they should! Sometimes I wonder if they even look at the kids before snapping the camera....maybe then they would have noticed the no smile, or food on face or hair bow falling to the side etc. Who knows!

Amanda B. said...

I feel your pain! My kids picture day was today and it was painful to pay, but I knew I don't take good ones myself. I think yours look fine though! (And I think last years look good too!!) :)

Suzanne said...

Too Funny! I didn't buy school pictures for Spencer either. I did in preschool but not kindergarten? Something is wrong with that but I actually forgot about it until we were at the bus stop. He was wearing a t-shirt and needed a haircut. I'm sure his eyes were closed or he was smiling funny in them anyways. I think your pics turned out cute. I'm not good with taking posed pictures. The lighting is never right.

Lauri said...

I'm with you...Why do you need to spend money on those pictures anyway? The ones you took look just as good as the "professionals." I'm all for saving a buck!

cassanthemum said...

I am doing the same thing.I really believe the school thing is a rip-off. I think you did good job! your kids are cute how can you go wrong? My kids call me cheap for not buying them-well really just Jeese!

Moms Are Contagious said...

okay seriously school pictures never turn out. The only school picture that I like is my first grade picture and my senior year picture.
Your kids are so cute though!

Liza said...

helpfull hint the white background washes them out and causes a sheen from the flash. Pick something in a nuetral shade, but darker. that is why the schools use that gray or blue sometimes. the pics are good though, they are so big! look at Leah she lost her little round baby face from this year to last. lol (I do work for a photographer if you want pics! I can take them and email you the proofs. We could make it a September ritual, so you just send off and pay to get them printed lol cheap!)

Annie Katie said...

totally agree with liza. grey background would have brought out more color, but their poses, faces look great. so grown up. i am fed up with the picture paying and christian is only in kgarden! i put him in a nice shirt/tie that matched so he would look cute, and when i asked him about it he said that the teacher told him to put the tie in his bookbag before....pictures!!!!. hello, she wasnt paying the expensive price of the pictures.......i was so peeved!

Tina said...

I think you did a wonderful job. I agree that the price of school pics are ridiculous and you don't know what you're gonna end up with!