Well, today I thought I would post about an experience I had recently that was horrible, to say the least. The store involved is Lifeway Christian Bookstore- and me, a Christian shopper. Does there appear to be a problem? I didn't think so, but, there was, and here are the gorey details....
Okay, so we bought Alex a set of scriptures for his birthday from the Distribution Center in Utah, and we wanted to imprint them with his name. Sound odd? No, not to me, since I had the same delimna when I bought my set a few years ago. I took mine to the Christian Armory store and they did a great job imprinting my name. I love them! Well, they are closed, and Lifeway has taken their place, so I call Lifeway. Here's the conversation:
Me: "Hi, I was wondering if you imprint books?"
Nice girl:, "Yes, yes we do!"
Me: "I didn't buy it there."
Nice girl: "That's okay, it will be $6.00".
Me: "Great, thanks and I will be in soon!"
So, the next day, Leah and I head there to get Alex's name done. We wait in line, and when it is our turn, I say,
"Hi, I called about having this imprinted and they said it was fine."
Nice girl: "Yes, no problem, what would you like it to say? It will be $6.00"
Great, I pay, and begin to wait the few minutes while they get it done. As we are wandering the store, another employee, I am assuming a manager of sort, an older young girl (still younger than me), approaches me and asks me if this is my book, (she is holding the book as if it is about to burn off her hand).
I say, "Yes."
She says, "I can't imprint this book!"
I give her a huh? look.
She says, "I don't stock this book."
I say, "That isn't what I was told on the phone, or when I just paid for it."
(Keep in mind, I am being very nice for two reasons: 1) Leah is with me 2) She knows I am a Mormon and I don't want to be a jerk.)
Mad girl: "Well, that is our policy."
Me: "Why wasn't I told that before I drove all the way here, paid for it and am now waiting?"
Mad girl: "Well, that is our policy."
Me: "Okay."
So, I go and get the $6.41 refunded to my credit card, and while that is happening, in my nicest voice ask if I can please have the number to their corporate office.
New girl, not one that has checked me out, or the mad one, "Sure, here it is."
Off we go out the door, without a glance back by me, or a nasty tone, and we go home. Well, I am furious, as you can imagine, but I calm down, and wait until Monday to call their Corporate office in Nashville. I tell Richard the whole story, and he says I need to talk to the Customer Service Specialist, Melanie, who is out of the office today, but will return my call on Tuesday. I leave Melanie a nice message with the details, (leaving out that it was a B.O.M.) and ask her to return my call....
I wait, and wait and wait...
Monday the 24th, an entire week later, I receive a call from Melanie, who in her Southern accent, is very nice.
Melanie: "Hi, tell me again what happened to you."
Me: "Well, I called your store....
basically I tell her exactly what I just wrote about, again in a very nice tone.
Melanie, "I am so sorry. No, that is not our policy. I will contact the store manager, and set up to have your book imprinted for you. Let me make arrangements and I will call you back."
Me: "Thank you so much!"
3 hours later Melanie calls me back...
Melanie: "Hi again. Now which store was it that this happened at?"
Me: "The one on _ drive."
Melanie: "Oh, yes, that is our policy."
Me: "What?"
Melanie: "Yes, we changed a few years ago, we no longer imprint books not purchased at our store."
Me: "Oh, why did the employee not tell me that when I called, or when I went to the store and paid for the imprinting?"
Melanie: "I am not sure."
Me: "And you are the Regional Manager and you didn't know that?"
Melanie: "I am sorry about that, so for your inconvenience,
(I now think she is going to say that they will be imprinting my book for all my troubles...)
"I am going to send you a Customer Rewards Card completely punched out for a discount on your next purchase."
Me: "And you are going to imprint my book?"
Melanie, "No, ma'am, we can't do that."
Me: "Really, you can't do that? Well, (still nice voice), you can keep your card because I will never shop in your store and neither will many others after they hear of this experience."
Melanie :"I am sorry you feel that way, ma'am. If you ever need anything, please feel free to call me."
Me: "And what would I need you for?"
Melanie: "Well, again, sorry."
Me: "Goodbye."
My furious little fingers couldn't type fast enough on a letter to their corporate office. I immediately went to work filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau over this. I was so angry, though my letter was direct and to the point. The online form from the BBB took me a few minutes to complete, but I had to detail all that had transpired and put my biggest complaint and what was my desired outcome. I wrote that the complaint was "Religious Discrimination" and all I wanted was my book imprinted. That is not too much to ask for is it? Seriously, I would expect more from a "Christian Company", wouldn't you? Here's the kicker, I think, since I never told her it was a B.O.M., she called the 3 stores in this area and asked what happened. That is why the policy, immediately changed and they wouldn't imprint my set of scriptures.
Well, I need to let this go...now the complaint has been filed and Lifeway has received both my letter and the complaint from the BBB, it is in their hands. I doubt anything will ever come from it, but for the future, my complaint will be listed online at the BBB for anyone to read about. This makes the principle fighter in me happy and at peace. I may not win many battles or wars, but somethings are still worth fighting for....
28 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Wow, that is unbelievable!
I love that you fought all the way! I would have done the same. Way to go:)
totally and completely unbelievable..... I am glad you stood up for it. So much for a "christian" bookstore!!!
That from a CHRISTian bookstore? Talk about discrimination. I'll write an additional letter to the BBB. REally. I have a HUGE problem with this. I can't imagine how you felt.
There is a store that's in a lot of malls called All Things Remembered. I know they imprint things and they're not religious. I just don't know if they do books.
Spencer said you can try a book binding place or some kind of printing company. He said there's a place on Main street on the west side that does it, but he doesn't remember the name. SOrry, I'm not much help.
Post a Comment