Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

23 April 2008

One Heck of a Hair Day- the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Today started out great!! I was so excited for the afternoon when Celeste got her first haircut! Here is the before, and you see why it needed a fresh cut...the curls are darling, I admit, but it was growing in a V shape and therefore needed a straight cut so it will grow together...so here is the after too...Here are the during shots too...she was so cute and so patient- she never whined or complained or even made yucky faces! I was so proud of her!



Add to top off this great haircut- SHE WENT POTTY TOO!! Yep, that's right, she actually went by herself in the potty! Talk about exciting! So much so, that I forgot to take a picture, but don't worry, I won't forget tomorrow when we hopefully continue on this remarkable path of potty success!

Okay, so onto the bad....oh, the bad....it is sooooo bad....you still want to know?! Really? I don't think you do...it is yucky bad...so gross bad...it's LICE!! Yes, yes, yes, it is lice, Leah has lice! I am not kidding, and tears are welling up, so yes, I am serious! I can hardly believe it has happened to us- she is such a little girl to have to deal with lice! A letter came home a couple of weeks ago from the nurse that someone in her class had it, but I really didn't even know what to look for, since her hair is so light colored. I seriously would not have known had we not gone to Renee's to get her hair cut today- she noticed the nits (I know, so disgusting), and right away and helped me cope for the next several hours as this unfolded into reality for me! I was horrified, and still am in shock, but what can I do? Well, we got the lice medication and did the 3 step treatment that took over 2 hours! Here is my sweet little Leah being so patient and wonderful as I raked this tiny comb through every single follicle of her head. It was not fun for her, but she knew it was necessary. I love that little girl- she was just terrific, and knows that next week we will have to repeat it all- yes, that's right, we have to do this all over AGAIN! After a final rinse, my baby went to bed, and we will check her in the morning- say a little prayer that it is over- I know I am! I was so wrapped up in the moment of disgust, that I forgot to take a photo of Leah's new haircut too, but you know that it is adorable!

In the morning, I get the great joy of calling the school to say that it is MY daughter that has lice! Lucky me! I tried to do a little damage control tonight by calling those I knew she had been around recently- that was fun, too- what stinks is that we shower her everyday, and yet we get the nasty buys infesting our house....remember the fleas...it is that and then some...will it ever end?! I can't take much more of this, I am losing what little is left of my mind!
Is your head itching, because mine is!

10 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Oh wow....my head is seriously itching as I read this! Poor Leah!! Poor Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!! This isn't your fault and has nothing to do with cleanliness- it just happens! :( Hang in there! I wish I could help!I really feel for you. I know how horrified you feel- but it isn't really your fault!

Celeste's hair is gorgeous!! :)

Es Wells said...

I am sorry. I dread the day I have to go through this. I remember all us girls having lice when we were little. I have had to pull off ticks and thought that was bad, but I would think lice would be worse and a lot more work,(having to clean everything) so I feel your pain!

Suzanne said...

That is horrible! Hopefully my kids don't get it and if they do I'm having you do my dirty work since you are now an expert! Just kidding:) I'm not worried about it but I appreciate the call and heads up. I would dread making the call to the school too because even though it's not true the first thought one has is what dirty kid brought this to school! Leah is a love and we all know it has nothing to do with your cleanliness:) Hopefully you got all those buggers!

Suzanne said...

By the way, Celeste's hair is darling. She didn't lose all the curl. Lucky:)

everyday katie said...

Celeste really has beautiful hair. Gorgeous!

I can see why you feel so rotten about the lice. I would hate making that call and hate having to be Leah and go to school with her class knowing she had lice. Hopefully she's too young for word to get around. Kids her age probably don't think twice about it. But really, it just happens...you guys are not dirty or gross.

Moms Are Contagious said...

I hate lice!!! Yes, my head is itching. I hope you got it all...did you wrap everything up? LOL! I remember things in trashbags.
The haircut is really cute!!! And going on the potty...she sure is growing up WAY too fast!

Autumn said...

First, good job to Celeste on her potty success!!

Second, I'm sorry about the lice. It is SUCH a pain. When we were younger we all had it somehow. I'm sure it came from school. Its a funny memory though, actually. I remember sitting in the kitchen NAKED on a stool and my Mom frantically making phone calls. (Probably like what you were doing-to warn others.) Then I remember her combing through my hair-which I thoroughly enjoyed. It felt so good! I wasn't worried about these things...I had no idea what it all meant!

And its a poor, untrue stigma about cleanliness. Its like colds-they just get passed, you can't help it! Good luck!!

Tina said...

Okay, Celeste's hair is as adorable as she is now. And I know Leah's is too because she's a cutie. Don't sweat the lice. I'm fortunate that my kids didn't get it, black people normally don't, but I do know it has nothing to do with cleanliness. You are THE cleanest person I know.

I am Laura said...

How fun. I am glad that Shanti gave you my blog so we could reconnect. I love blogging. I have been doing it too long, but I don't update as much as you do more like once a week. I will keep checking back on you to see how you are. I thought Celeste was Leah. I forgot you even had three. Crazy how they grow so fast. Your family is so cute. That video on you tube of Dana is really funny. I bet his kids at school just love him. He has a talent in that. I also liked seeing the pictures of your wedding day. You looked like a baby. I can't believe how 20 year olds now look like teenagers to me. well, see ya soon.

The Cochran Family said...

Poor thing! One of my ealiest childhood memories is sitting on a chair with my head cocked to one side and a little metal comb around my head...UGH...but I also remeber that my mom felt sorry for me so I got to stay up and watch my favorite show!!! SPIDERMAN!!! woohooo, now you know why I have two boys....Yah for the new haircut and esp the potty!! Goodbye diapers hello freedom!!!