Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

25 April 2008

25 April 1998

On this day 10 years ago, we had our first of two wedding receptions, this one was at the ward building, and we called it an "open house". It was really nice, and we had a ton of people show up, many who I barely knew from Dana's parents friends. They were so generous, and now I know all of them, and can remember them from that day.
A funny thing about that day, is that we had our invitations printed up a month and a half before, you know, ready to send out, and then we found out that President Hinckley was coming here to announce a Temple- on the same day and time as our Open House!! Quick, print up a change in time sticker for the beautiful invite card and insert before sending them out! That is what I did for over 200 invitations! We just changed the time to the evening, so everyone could go see our beloved Prophet. It was an amazing day! I loved seeing him, and then going to our celebration all dressed in my dress again! I loved it, and this time my hair is up- thanks, Renee, and Jen for letting me borrow her head piece! Here are a few pictures, and also pictures from our second reception on 2 May 1998. This one was held at the Catholic Church we went to when I was a kid- they have a huge hall that we went and decorated and had one terrific party! It was a total blast, and I will never forget it! My parents out did themselves and we had such fun!

This cake was the cake from the Open House, and now, thinking about it, I wouldn't choose to put such a huge temple on top, but we didn't have anything else that week. After that, Dana's sister, Esther and her husband, Jeremy bought us the glass version, which went on our cake for the reception. We love it! OH, and Dana smeared the cake in my face, both times! I didn't get a chance to get him- he thought this was hilarious, and I did not! I was not happy with him, but I did get over it, and trust me, if it were today, he would've never gotten away with that!

This the second cake, (I totally loved designing 2 different cakes- so lucky!) is more formal, I think, and more elegant, you can't see the pearls cascading around, but they were so beautiful- and the cake was yummy! It wasn't a year later, when we attempted to eat it- and I would not recommend trying it to newlyweds, either! Our cake lady even wrapped it up for us, swearing it would be delicious, but she was wrong, it was no where near edible! Still, I love this picture.

Okay, let me explain this photo...when I was growing up, my dad had a jukebox in our basement (he still does), and C3 on it was "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" ,by Meatloaf, and I used to love to sing that! Okay, up until a few years ago, yes, not too long ago, I didn't know what the song was about! Okay, I get it, I am naive, but I seriously didn't! It was just fun to sing, and so my dad and I used to sing it for fun! Well, the DJ turned this on, and the show began! We sang our hearts out and people are still talking about it today! It was great, and my dad was fabulous! People were crying, one because it was hilarious, and two because it was a father/daughter moment that will never be relived- it couldn't have been better. I cherish this picture and remember that song from good old childhood days, before I knew how it totally isn't a father/daughter song!! Oh well, it was still worth it!

Dana was "dancing crazy man" at our reception- and people totally thought he had been drinking! It was a tad embarrassing, I must say, but he remembers it as a great time! Check out Es dancing along too- it must run in the family!!

I love this picture, and it is framed in our living room. It was our first dance, to Celine's "Because you loved me", and I still love looking at it.

Okay, no more wedding posts, I promise! Just wanted those for posterity! Hope you got a good laugh!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

So much fun! I told Ryan before we got married that I didn't want cake in my face. Luckily he didn't! I love the story about the song. It's great to be naive. Great memories:)

Autumn said...

Oh Kelly, I could read wedding posts EVERY day. I can't hear/see enough. Seriously, I love it all!!! (And hope you do too becaues my slew comes next!!) I have so many things I have to comment on.

So first, I don't know if I've ever heard the Meatloaf song. So I'm now listening to it on youtube as I type. By the title I'm pretty sure I figured it out.

I LOVE this picture of you guys!!-the one of you dancing with your Daddio.

The first cake I was amazed-I think you were super ahead of your time. The fondant (or just super smooth frosting) is so very much looking like a cake from a wedding NOW-not 10 years ago. And as far as the temple on top, I know what you mean, but surely your options were limited.

How awesome to have 2 receptions-and 2 cakes! How fun.

I love it that Dana danced crazy even if you were embarassed.

Did the Catholics think you were nuts for having a Mormon reception there? I can't wait for the answer.

Okay, I think that's all. I SO love all of the pictures.

Happy Anniversary again!!

Tina said...

I absolutely LOVE hearing stories like that. Thank you for telling us and please, I LOVE OLD PICTURES. Do not stop!

Amanda B. said...

No need to worry- I enjoyed reading them all and love the pictures. You are both beautiful- (and not surprised you smashed the cake in each others faces. :))