Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

26 November 2008

A Daddy's Girl...

Yes, I am a Daddy's Girl- 100% - always have, always will...despite getting older, not much changes with that relationship. I love my Dad- his 65th Birthday was last Wednesday, but due to my late night partying with Madonna and next day recovery, I failed to blog about it. His birthday always falls the week of the OSU vs. Michigan game- and if they are playing at the Shoe, he always gets a ticket! This year, my brother was the giver...they had a great time, and enjoyed the awesome win!
I once was asked to give a talk in Sacrament meeting on Father's Day, years ago, and so I wrote about my relationship with my Dad. It was heartfelt and probably one of the best ones I have written- sadly it is saved on a floppy and I can't access it to share it with you, but I will try to impart a little of how I feel about him.
I had an amazing childhood- really, truly, my parents are more than I could've ever requested- they love unconditionally and with their full hearts- my dad especially. I don't really remember him being furious with me, even as a teenager- well, I remember arguing with him about whatever, but he never stayed mad at me for long and always spent time with me afterward to help me mend. He took me on all sorts of learning excursions, including hunting...surprise to all you who think I am a "girly girl"- I didn't say I loved it, but it was interesting. I only went once, by the way. We went camping all the time, and he taught me how to catch "craw dads- or crayfish, the correct word"- can you even picture me doing that now?! Funny thought, huh? He tried to make a fisherman out of me, too, but that failed when I started to get motion sickness every time the boat stopped moving. Sorry, dad...I treasure those memories, like when he taught me how to water ski, and a boat nearly ran into me while I was in the water- he was screaming a few choice words at the other boat for that! Thanks for always saving me, dad. But also, thanks for the time that you made me return the "sail naked" shirt that I bought while on vacation! I may not have been happy with you at the time, but now I see the wisdom in why a 13 year old shouldn't have a shirt like that!
I have posted before about how he never missed an important event in my life- ever- I really can say that he was always there for me when I needed, wanted, or even when I didn't want him to be.
When something happens in my life, he is still one of the first people I call. He knows so many people, and can almost always save the day for me. He is a great rock in times of need, and I love him more than these words can say. He and I are more alike than we probably can admit, but both very stubborn when we want to be and very opinionated at times, too. Take it or leave it, you always know where we stand. I love that he has fostered so many traits for me- though sometimes now he is grouchy, and as Leah calls him, "grumpy", he is still there for me and still loves me no matter what. He would support me in any choice I make- and that is something I cannot fail to mention- even when I tried tap dancing, gymnastics, and didn't do so well, and then cheer leading and playing the trumpet, which I did- it didn't matter, he was always supportive.
They say that a girl looks for a husband that is like her father. Though on the outside Dana and my Dad aren't that much alike, they have the qualities that mean the most inside. They are full of love and devotion to their wife and children- sacrificing all to make them happy. What more could I ask for?!


My Dad and Grandfather in 1945- I love this picture.

Me and my Dad- 1980- love this one too.

And now:






Happy late birthday, daddy- your little girl loves you forever.

5 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Wow!!! What an awesome dad! :) Dads are pretty amazing. What a great tribute. I also love the one of him as a little guy with his dad. What a cool glimpse into the past! All of the pictures are amazing! :)

Lauri said...

That was awesome! It made me miss my own father and the relationship we shared.

Moms Are Contagious said...

That is so awesome that you are so close with your dad! Parents are the greatest...at times!

Suzanne said...

What a sweet post! Dad's are the best and I think it's so important for a girl to have a Dad that loves them and is there for them. He raised a great girl!!

Tina said...

I love that picture of your dad and Celeste (you?)! It's amazing how much she looks like you. You have a truly amazing dad. The great thing is you cherish the relationship you have with each other now while you can. What a blessing!