Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

08 January 2009

Painting Perfection

So, after our plumbing disaster, we had to get our basement/family room walls re-done. Since we got some insurance money for the damage, I decided that I would hire out the work! Smart, eh?! It is such a large room, that I could've done it myself, but it would've been a much harder, longer lasting job than paying this neighbor, who is a painter, by the way a mere 200 bucks! I just bought the paint, tape, and caulk, and he did the hard stuff! I did learn a few tricks from him, though, like caulking around all your edges to get a smooth line! Bet you didn't know that, huh?! Well, it works, and it looks super nice.
The color is "mimosa"- whatever that means, but to me it is "creamy". Here are some befores:

This is going down our steps- I painted it a brown color this spring. You can't really see the color, but it was okay- a bit darker than I wanted, but live able.

This is right where the disaster occurred: on these two walls beside the bathroom. I tore down the wall paper myself- it came off so easily, and this was the color behind it. I patched all the holes, and am not rehanging anything.
This is just one of the paneled walls.
This is the last partial wall- the one that leads to our 4th level. Here is Al doing the paneling- you can see how fresh the new color looks. Here is Celeste keeping busy while staying out of the way: She was watching Kung Fu Panda!
They are nuts!
It worked, only Alex got his hand in wet paint, rushing to get upstairs- and practically the whole basement was wet, so that was pretty good!
And here are the finished walls: The one on the left is painted and the one on the right is the original- can you see the difference? It is slight, but so much lighter! This is going down the steps now:
The whole room is just so much more open now that it is uniform in color. I can just feel the difference in it.
I chose eggshell for the first time, and I loved it! It is very durable and washable! Love that it hides a little of the glue residue too!
Well, there you have it. I also cleaned out the toys that we have down there- and put a ton away- the ones they have outgrown. The pile is so condensed and the space is much nicer now. I just loved watching him do all the hard work- a change for sure!!

9 comments:

wolfpack said...

Love,love,love it. I like the creamy color. It makes everything so nice and new looking when you paint. I love the pictures of the kids showing off their Kung Fu moves. I am also excited that I was the first one to post a comment. I've never done that before.

Home Management Group said...

Party at your house!!! Thanks for sharing the painting tips!

Liza said...

cant wait to see. kelley -2, poo-zip.lol

Tina said...

It looks great! He did a good job. I'm thinking of rewall papering my foyer. Does he do wall papering also?

Autumn said...

very nice!! I have to say, I did know about caulking...not because I LIKE to paint though!! lovely.

Jamie said...

Looks great! It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do, huh? And good for you for HIRING it out!!!

Amanda B. said...

Wow!! It looks great and I am so happy that you were able to get it done- and by someone else is even better! Yay!!! Looks great! :)

Suzanne said...

How wonderful! Can't wait to see it:)

Hannah said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I have been following your blog and reading faithfully through reader I just haven't had the time to make comments on everyones blogs. :) your pictures are adorable! your children are beautiful!