Last week I went to pick up Sister Jones in our ward for a meeting. After inviting me in for a minute, I saw that she had 2 bird cages- and in one a BIG BIRD!! Yes, this is one Big Bird!
This is "Pumpkin" the Macaw from Brazil- she is 29 years old!! Yes, 29 years old!! They can live into their 60's! Sister Jones has had her for 22 years! I am not kidding! I was utterly fascinated with her- she is quite threatening looking, but so intriguing! She talks, cries for her "mom", and walks everywhere! You can't let her into cabinets, because she can cut holes in the pipes! She can bite off your finger in 3 seconds! I didn't hold her! Sister Jones said it takes nearly 6 months for them to warm up enough to let you even get near them! After 22 years, she loves to let her mom hold her and even give her a shower! The stories go on and on...I loved it!
So, today, I took Celeste to meet Pumpkin and her other bird, a cocktail, named Bo, who is also 29 years old! Amazing! Here are some shots of them:
She doesn't fly, but can spread her wings-check out that span!
Aren't her colors just gorgeous?!
She was an abused bird, both were, actually before Sister Jones got them. Sad. She rescued them, but the torture was so bad for Pumpkin, that she plucked all her feathers on her stomach! Every single one- and they don't grow back! I said her stomach looks like a plucked chicken!
She likes to licks her hand- they groom all day long, and love to groom her too- she will pull hair out of your hand or off your arm if you are holding her- isn't' that odd?!
Here is B0- Celeste liked him too- but he wouldn't let her touch him.
If you wave to him, he bounces his head up and down- Celeste never tired of this, but he did!
Sister Jones is such a neat lady- and Celeste just totally loved being at her house. We plan to visit her often- and perhaps one day Pumpkin will warm up to us- but for now- I am happy she stays in her cage! I like my fingers!
26 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
wow! I had no idea birds could live that long. What a great visit for Celeste AND for Sister Jones.
Wow! How cool! Thanks for the insight into a neat lady! I am sure your kids (and you- as I would have been) were just fascinated! :)
ya you have to will those birds to someone cause they live so long. i think they are like $3000 birds.cool.beautiful. how can you not believe in god when you are exposed to such a beautiful creature.
One of my supervisors has a 30 year old bird! We had a lovebird for awhile. Meanest pet I'd ever had. (Besides my bunny.)
Macaw's are so cool!!! I love the colors on that bird with his wings spread out. My friend Cathy has one of those, but I won't go near it either. I just look at it from afar. Sorry, did the word afar bring back memories? Lol. Anyway, Cathy's bird makes a hideous sound when it caws. It sounds like a baby is screaming. Does her bird do the same? I wondered if it was a Macaw thing.
I am not a bird lover but can appreciate their beautiful colors. You are so perfect in the RS and such a great example to all of us. I'm sure Sis. Jones loved your visit and getting to know her.
Post a Comment