Just Us

Just Us
August 2013

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!
OSU fans for life!

Visitors

14 August 2010

Camera or No Camera? That is the question....

Okay, so I am not good with keeping camera's alive...
In the last 4 years, I have gone through 4 of them....
In my defense, not all of them were my fault...
However, I have managed to break them all...
Now my latest one is still at the manufacturer, and I am debating whether or not to pay the $50 to have it fixed...(this is the one that the screen busted while IN a PADDED camera case, INSIDE my purse!) Seriously, it's not me that is hard on them! They just aren't that sturdy and are super easy to damage...however, the nice one I really want would be MUCH HARDER TO BREAK!
I have stated over and over that I really want a SLR camera, and want to learn photography....but 2 things stand in my way...
1- TIME
2-MONEY
Big ones, right?!
BUT, it's what I want!!!!!!
I have been trying to figure out what to do for some time now...
I have scanned for used camera's- I don't even know much about them- and less on how to use all the amazing features, hence the TIME dilemma I have! I have money saved and I could use it to buy a new nice SLR, but I know that my money would be better off in the bank for now, and so I am thinking of just spending the fifty bucks to have mine repaired...even though I said I would not have another point and shoot in this life!
Timing stinks.
But I am lost without a camera- and Alex has mine (um...the first one I broke that barely takes decent pics, but is better than nothing!) and I am longing to post some pics from these last couple of weeks....I don't even have a pic of me on my birthday last week...terrible!
Anyway....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have both a Digital SLR (Nikon D40) and a point and shoot. I feel like I use them both equally. I usually carry my point and shoot with me at all times (you never know when you are going to need it) and my SLR is quite big to haul around all the time. That said, I love my SLR and the diversity it offers me with lens, action shots, etc... Teresa C.

everyday katie said...

Personally, I can't afford a nice camera. I'd love one but there is no way I can justify it.

HOWEVER, if I could scrape together enough money I totally think it's worth it. One, you don't have to spend smaller amounts of money over and over on cheap cameras. (We did that with vacuums until we broke down and bought a dyson and I'll never regret it.)

Two, memories fade. I ALWAYS wish I had great pictures of my kids. ALWAYS. I really don't feel like I have pictures that capture my kids whatsoever. Good pictures are totally worth the investment. You would be so grateful for it Pictures and faded memories are all you have of their childhood.

Three, when you get really good, you won't have to pay for portraits...your pictures will be better than target pictures for sure.

Four, you can take my family pictures and I won't have to pay for them.

Which leads me to number five...you can charge me for them...in which case I'll ask for a discount. If you get really good, you can turn it into a side business.

Ok...this is all just because I really want a nice camera. But I do realize how hard it is to justify financially.

My friend Genny started off taking ok pictures. She bought herself a nice camera and took an online photography class and in less than a year, she is an AMAZING photographer. I'd totally pay her to take pictures. (You can link to her blog on mine.)

That's my essay worth of thoughts...nothing I'm sure you haven't already thought of.

Autumn said...

GO for the gold, baby. I know what you mean about being lost without a camera. But if you're going to spend $100, you may as well spend $500! Its on my wishlist too and I'll definitely want to earn money here and there with shoots, which will easily pay itself over. Go for it!

Es Wells said...

If I had the money I'd buy it...for family history's sake. Aren't we supposed to do our family history and preserve our family memories? And...we need to do things for ourselves sometimes, even if it frivolous..it makes us happy. You just have to decide what makes you happier..the new camera or the money in the bank? We couldn't afford a new camcorder when ours broke, but I bought it because Evey was a baby and you can't get those moments back(and it was a great deal, of course)Is there any way to get the camera you want used? That way you get it, and keep some of the money in the bank.On the other hand, there have been times I really want something, but know we don't really have the money for it and I know I will happier if we just wait. Either way, I love and hate that feeling of wanting and waiting.Love ya!

Es Wells said...

Canon digital SLR camera on sale for $499 in our Kmart weekly ad this week.

I am Laura said...

Just buy one! You will never regret it. I love my camera and it was the cheepest slr at the time. Sell a bunch of things you don't need on craigslist to make some of the money. I would be so sad if I didn't have my camera and I can tell that you would use yours a lot. Time isn't really a factor. You can read the owners manual in a few hours and know the basics. If you question anything you can put it on the automatic mode and the pictures will be good. You deserve a good camera. Maybe you could even get one that has 12 months same as cash and you can pay it down over the months. I use my kit lens a ton and I think it takes good shots. You can spend a ton on lenses, but you don't have to. Start with the camera and the kit and then wait a few years for better lenses. You won't regret it. I haven't