I was 9, and it was the 4th of July week at the beach. My family went to Myrtle Beach every year for years this exact week. It was my brother's birthday, therefore, vacation time! I won't mention that my birthday is in the summer, but somehow we were always home for mine- no jealousy there...can you tell?!We always stayed in the same place year after year there- the Swamp Fox- funny name, but a great place- lots of fun things going on, and our room looked out to the pool, on the first floor. It was perfect- we reserved it because of it's location! Funny how we have continued that trend now as we have taken our family to the same location for 2 years. Great traditions started with my parents for us all these years ago.
I remember our vacations to the beach- with fireworks we set off on the beach for Independence Day, and Sean's birthday, too! I remember playing pool games with fun "college-aged" kids who worked there in the summer. My one most replayed memory is that for years, I wouldn't get in the deep end of the pool. I knew how to swim, but my brother had always teased me that sharks came out of the drain hole in the deep end. I so believed him, in some irrational way. Those fears just stayed with me, and for years I would just hang out where I could touch!! funny, huh?! I remember that it was the day before we left one year that I finally decided to swim a lot. My parents reminded us that we were leaving the next day and I said I wasn't going home! I had finally started to have fun, and I didn't want to go. Of course we did, but I felt like I had conquered my fears of the sharks in the pools!
I love the beach, no surprise there. I am thankful for the memories my parents created for me as a child on vacations. I love that we are trying to do that for our kids, too. I hope they have fond memories of our trips there, but more importantly, I hope they don't tease each other about pool sharks!! So far, so good!


3 comments:
I love childhood pictures- sooooo cute! How awesome to have those memories every year!
If I were you- I would be demanding fireworks on my birthday!!!! :)
Fun memories. And I love that you're making those same memories with your kids.
Very Cute! Traditions are so important and someday your kids will be blogging about all their family vacations to Myrtle Beach.
Post a Comment