Saturday the 18th was a long day. It started at 7am when we departed the house to head Downtown for the annual Susan Komen Race for the Cure, in honor of the many women in our lives who have been affected with Breast Cancer. So many women I love. I am always so weepy at the race. To see these women who are not beaten down by this disease, but celebrating overcoming the challenges placed before them by it. I am honored to be a part of it. I am honored to run or walk for those women I love:
My Grandmother
My Great-Aunt Norma
My Aunt Lori
My Cousin Jennifer
and my dear friend from college, Peggy, who lost her battle 5 years ago at 33 years old.
I did not get to run again this year, since Leah had the convention previously posted about an hour after the race would end. So, I chose to walk the 5K along with my mom, my children and Lori's family. It was so filling. It is a special day. Here are a few shots:
After the race, we headed to Leah's convention, then home to rest and let Lanie nap, then back for awards at the Convention, then to Lori's for a cookout! Whew! Dana was out of town, in DC, in case you were wondering why he wasn't helping me out!! Every year he misses out on this one, and next year, so will Alex, as he will be on the DC trip as an 8th grader...(thankfully I have a year to prepare myself for that!!)
I am hoping to run again next year, though with this many people in such a small place, it is difficult to really keep a pace. It is nice to participate with my family.
30 May 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
What a great cause! We miss it too since that is Emma's dance recital weekend every year. You all look wonderful!
Post a Comment