I saw a slogan for St. Jude's the other day, and I really like it and would love to keep it going year round in our house- it's called "Thanks and Giving"....tonight for FHE we talked about giving rather than receiving and how it is nice to give thanks daily for all that we have. That isn't easy to do for an adult, sometimes, let alone children. But we expect a lot out of our kids, so we helped them understand, and we set up this fun "Countdown to Christmas" craft that will help us this month:
On the back of each number there is a service activity that we can do as we remove the days counting down to Christmas. The kids are very excited. I have to say that I do love that Thanksgiving is near Christmas, because they seem to remain in the "thanks and giving" spirit. Well, I try to, anyway! (All good ideas are stolen, by the way, and this one came from this blog that I follow :thebargainjargon.com) For ours, I google image searched the numbers and then copied them to a word document and then cut them out and pasted them on card stock- the entire activity took about an hour- the kids loved it! Here are a few close-ups too:
Anyway, back to Thanksgiving itself: Dana and I were fortunate enough to attend a Broadway Production on Wednesday night at the Theatre- "In the Heights"- and my parents kept the kids overnight, so we woke up without them on Thanksgiving! We had a blast at the play, by the way- it was really wonderful- amazingly talented performers and fantastic music! We took 7 girls from Dana's Spanish III class and a few parents too- they were so happy and very appreciative, since they didn't have to pay for tickets- The Spanish Club at their school funded it- so yeah, we were grateful too!


4 comments:
I love the Christmas countdown--a month of service. What a great way to celebrate the season.
I love that Christmas countdown, too. GREAT IDEA!
And how fun to get out with Dana (Even if you had students along).
look at you! so crafty! i love that you are liking barganjargan. I saw that countdown too, but then got lazy. I know what you mean about Christmas taking Thanksgiving limelight. Its black friday's fault!
Everyone's too worried about what they are going to buy that they forget to have the true feeling of thanksgiving for just one day even! Boo...
SO much fun! Love the calendar!
Post a Comment