So Saturday was the Race for the Cure here downtown...It was nothing short of wonderful in so many ways...the weather was perfect, the skies clear, the people, and survivors were just fantastic. I got there at 715am to meet my mom, Aunt Trudy and Stephanie. We walked from COSI, to the expo to get free stuff- cute bags my girls love, and then back to the car to drop it off. Then, I walked back to the race start and ran the 5K in nearly the same time I ran last year- so not too bad...33:30. After that, we walked to meet my mom in the 5K walkers, so about a mile more, then back to the finish with them, and then all around...do you see where I am going with this?! I figure I got in nearly 10 miles - seriously, my legs are still tired! But so worth it!! I even got to see Peggy's family, her husband and little boys- and then later in the day went to a park to celebrate in her honor. It couldn't have been better- I loved every minute (except for around mile 2.5- that was hard!!)
Stephanie and I before the race- no sweat YET!

Uncle Gary, me, Matt, Mike and Steph- sweaty messes!

My gorgeous Aunt Lori- a SURVIVOR!!

Team Lori!!

My in Memory of Peggy tag and in Celebration tag with all my survivor heroes.

45000+ people in one place- so crazy- but so motivating!!

This was our start line- not that we run 8 minute miles, but it was nice to think that we could!

Heather Pick's team of pink wigs- she had a ton of supporters- it was so inspiring and unbelievable!

Breast Cancer is such an awful disease! It has affected more women I love than I want to count. I am in awe of them, truly, for their heart and dedication to finding a cure and enduring to the end. I am honored to have ran this race...my heart aches for those who lost their lives to this dreaded disease- my dear friend has been gone for over a year now, and I still think of her every single day- my heart breaks for her loved ones, those who honor her life. I pray for my Aunt, who has fought the disease for nearly 3 years- she is such an inspiration to me, and I love her. If there is a cure out there, we will find it- I am sure of it.
5 comments:
Congratulations on another race! I REALLY need to do that one of these years (I'll probably end up walking, not running.)
You are awesome. I can't believe you walked so much too. What an inspirational race.
congrats to you!!! I love it that you do this!
Ok So i was looking at ur pics on blogger and facebook. and oh my gosh, How Celeste has grown since I had her in nursery, She was the shy one but so cute and loved that smile. Her hair has grown so much too. I remember when u were still pregnant with her in yw. Good Times.
Em!
Wow- that is just amazing. And, I am so impressed at you for doing it. I agree that the disease is just awful and nobody deserves it ever. Congratulations!
Post a Comment