Well, let me take a few moments to catch you up on these past couple of weeks.
Leah and Celeste attend a STEM school- (Science, technology, engineering and math). These subjects are emphasized greatly, as is group work. Leah is in 4th grade, and this year, the first year of the new school, they were challenged to create a new courtyard design for the space between the hallways- it is open to the outdoors. Each classroom had 5 or 6 groups in it. They each had to work together within their group for weeks to come up with a design and have it implemented. Their budget was $500 and the winning group would get to actually create it in real life.
Leah's group decided to build a pond with turtles and fish. There is a current sandy area there that they would remove and put the pond with flowers and information. They even had to create a PowerPoint presentation to go along with it. Each group presented in their classroom, and then voted for one group to represent their class. In that round, Leah's group won, so now there were 4 groups left- one for each 4th grade classroom.
On the 29th, those 4 groups got to present it to judges and peers, but the final say to the judges- her Principal, a local weatherman and 2 district employees from different buildings.
Here is her group and a slide from her presentation.
They dressed up and had such fun getting it all ready. I have to say, and yes, I am biased a bit, but they outshone the competition in more ways than one.
Leah was quick on her feet when asked questions, (not a big surprise), and they were for sure the most thorough of them all.
Well....after a day's deliberation....
THEY WON!!!
Yep, their design will be implemented in the Spring and will stay there for years! How cool is that?! What a fun project to be a part of. They truly worked as a team and so hard....I am so proud of them. Leah loved it and even framed her certificate!
Also that week, Alex had his first Band Concert! He changed instruments before school started and decided to play the trumpet. Made me happy- I played for 7 years, and they think it's fun that I can still play, but it doesn't sound as great as it did those years ago! Funny, right?! Well, he had not been practicing and telling me he wanted to quit. We set up a practice schedule with him and he has been adhering to it ever since he played on the stage and got applause. I loved it! Hearing him practice, though it hurts sometimes, makes me smile!!
Look at this handsome boy:
He loved it so much that he now practices without complaint and thankfully they had the symphonic band play after him so he could see what a few years of playing what he could do. I am glad he loves playing. Studies show that the smartest kids play a musical instrument and you develop a part of your brain that would not be developed otherwise.....I knew that was why I am so smart!! Ha ha
Celeste is doing great in her Kindergarten class- she brings home "superstars" on her papers nearly everyday. She loves library and gets fun books each week. Leah is actually working in the library- she was hired for the year by their librarian and so she gets to check out Celeste's books for her- they love seeing each other at school.
Elaina is our little gem. She is so routine and I love it! She now sleeps from 8:30 or 9pm until 4 or 5am and then after I feed her (like she needs it!!) she goes back to bed until 8am! Loving that schedule!! She got her first 2 teeth this month and graduated from the tub on the vanity to the tub in the tub!


1 comment:
Busy, busy!! I feel ya! :)
What a cool project that Leah got to do! And I soooo agree, a musical instrument is one of the greatest things a kid could learn! Our house in on its way to a full band! (me- trumpet, Kenny- trombone and Jacob- piano!)
Post a Comment